This morning I was working with TFS and Team Explorer 2010, when I get a very strange type of error: a red-X on the Work Items folder in Team Explorer, whereas in Team Web Access I get an access denied error over the Work Items queries…
I already got Red-X errors over Documents and Reports folders but it was never on the Work Items folder: I learnt it’s a rare occurrence when compared to the much more prevalent Red-X on Documents and/or Reports!
Moreover I had no error information to help me start troubleshooting the problem: the work item tracking web service was working and the event logs were not throwing anything helpful. What I did was to run the witexport command: when I ran this command, it gave me an error (“TF201072: A user or group could not be found.”). Again not very helpful!
After investigating I notice it was only a problem with my client: nor colleague had a similar issue, neither I had a similar issue from another machine. This drove me to the solution: clearing the Visual Studio Cache!
The Visual Studio cache, on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008, is under C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\<version>
After removing all files under this directory all works fine, again.