Some days ago, I started to get this error message when trying to connect my Windows Phone to Zune.
“Can’t connect to your phone. Disconnect it, restart it, then try connecting again.”
I tried that once or twice – didn’t help: after investingating it, i found the following solution. Unfortunately, it seems the cause of the problem is that I changed my user’s password after installing and using Zune, so it will appear every time I’ll change it in the future.
1. If it is running, close the Zune software.
2. Open Certificate Manager (click Start, type certmgr.msc and press Enter).
3. Expand Personal and then expand Certificates.
4. Click the heading for the Issued By column to sort the column, and then look for one or more certificates that is issued to “zune-tuner://windowsphone/…”.
5. Right-click the certificate and then click Delete. Click Yes.
6. Browse to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA and delete a directory named something like S-1-5-21-2994215280-4243257845-4001642984-2731
7. Start the Zune software and connect your phone to create a new certificate.